Special Series & Tailored Talks
Free, open to the public, every third Thursday evening at 5:30 p.m. The support group is located in the Conference Center behind Doctor’s Regional Medical Center, 3315 S. Alameda St., Corpus Christi, TX 78411. Please use the ER entrance on Ft. Worth St. Snacks provided. No registration needed.
NAMI In Our Own Voice (IOOV) unmasks mental illness, using speaker stories to illustrate the individual realities of living with mental illness. You gain a better understanding of what it is like to live with mental illness and stay in recovery. NAMI In Our Own Voice can change attitudes, preconceived notions and stereotypes regarding mental illness.
What You Should Expect
- Sixty to 90 minutes long, open to the general public, free of charge.
- Led by a team of two trained presenters who are living in recovery from mental illness.
- Includes stories, videos and discussion.
Why You Should Attend
- More accurate view of a stigmatized and misunderstood experience.
- Humanized perception of what people living with mental illness are like.
- Concrete examples of what living in recovery means.
- Opportunity to ask questions in a safe and friendly environment.
Whether you have contact with mental illness in a professional capacity or want to learn more on a personal level, your interest and questions are welcome. Your participation also provides a valuable opportunity to the speakers; an opportunity to gain confidence as they share their experience of recovery and transformation.
Bring NAMI to your Venue!
NAMI has partnered with a wide variety of community groups, from teachers to preachers, from lawmakers to law enforcement officers, to educate more people about the experience of mental illness and how to support mentally ill members of the community. If your workplace or community group would benefit from the perspective of trained volunteers with life experience in the world of mental illness, please contact us to arrange a presentation.
Visit the Events page to see our scheduled public programs.